Saturday, April 28, 2007

Black Sheep Redux (with added photo)

Far be it from me to shill for a yarn shop, but I have to say, for a great sale, I have never seen anything like Black Sheep Knittery. Yes, the intrepid trio of Sknitty, Knit Devil, and yours truly once again made the trek over the river (the LA River doesn't look like much, but it's our river and we love it) and through the (concrete) forest to Hollywood and BSK. The occasion? A bag sale. Not just any bag sale, as you can see from my haul--Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk and Cashmerino Aran; Rowan Felted Tweed and Yorkshire Tweed. I bought the DK but they had tons of the heavyweight as well, ditto other weights of Cashmerino. I really was dithering in front of the Baby Cashmerino for a long time, they had a terrific selection of colors, but not having a "specific" baby in mind sorta cramped my style. One thing for sure, Grandcarrot is not a DBBC kind of baby!
The other thing I noticed is that I was definitely in a certain color-frame-of-mind. There was some great blue in the Alpaca Silk (have you fondled that stuff? It's like whipped cream, only lighter!) but it wasn't speaking to me. Now, the teal? And the red? Singing at the top of their lungs!


This is the way the back of my truck looked afterwards.

Nice, huh? We did leave a few balls of yarn for other people--I've heard from some who've gone and actually were able to find some treasures! A note about those spots on the carpet in the truck--those are from a bottle of fabric softener that fell over, leaked, and flopped around. Hey, if you're going to have to spill in the car, it should at least be something that smells good, right?

Okay, this one's for Knit Devil--the St. Paddy's Day rose, open, showing the green just around the edges.

Hey, when in doubt, post flowers, right? Especially in Project Spectrum colors of pink and yellow, and of course the green leaves. Yeah, I really do need to find a pink or yellow or green project to work on. But I have a challenge that "should" take all my knitting time!
(These are my pink Rugosas. I also have a red one--FJ Grootendorst--this one is "Pink Grootendorst")
And another shot of Scepter'd Isle and the yellow one I can't remember. I am also eagerly awaiting the blooming of another DA rose, "Jude the Obscure" (I told you mine all have a Thomas Hardy theme!) which is just now budding.

Enough nattering--I need to start cataloguing my yarn, and I think I'll start with the new ones.

Besides, tomorrow is the March of Dimes Walk, in Newport Beach (Calif, not RI), and I need to rest my tootsies so they can haul me over the whole 5.5 miles! I'll let you know how I do...

8 comments:

Madge said...

Thank you for my fleur. That St. Paddy's rose is one cool blossom.

Good luck with tomorrow's March of Dimes walk! I'm rooting for ya.

xo

P.S. It's 81 degrees in my living room, but I'm valiantly finishing up the neck on my CPH right side. My fingers (and everything else on my body) are sweating, but I hope to cast on my sleeves tonight.

Anonymous said...

Those are great yarns! I'm enious.

Just wanted to say "hi." I've been checking your blog regularly since CatBookMom mentioned it, and have been enjoying your writing and pictures. And appreciateing you respect and affection for cats.


Sarah-Hope
www.whatifknits.com

Larry said...

Good luck today! I feel like a wimp only doing my two miles a day. I almost went back to BSK myself yesterday but went to Unwind instead and then stopped at Skein on the way home. Spent money on stuff that wasn't on sale but it was stuff I'd been looking for so I was happy about that.

Annette said...

(sigh) That Black Sheep sale is so tempting.... I left behind yarn I wanted. If they extend it, I might have to go back. I love what you broght home with you. Pretty colors!

Good luck on your walk!

jillian said...

Now, that picture makes it look like you didn't nab all that much :) Hmmm. That was (is) one incredible sale.

Hope the walk went well!

mary said...

I love that St. Paddy's day rose, especially when it's a bud. Good luck on your walk!

Allison said...

I am so proud that I have been strong and have successfully maanged not to ruin my budget by visiting BSK and going buck wild. But it has been hard, espcially when someone shows the beautiful haul they got!

Ellen Bloom said...

I couldn't resist either, Marie. I was out of town this weekend, but took today (Monday off). After my haircut, my car just drove all by itself over to Black Sheep. Miss Carla showed up while I was there, along with a few other knitsters I recognized. I bought 4 bags o' great stuff. I just can't post them. It' s like eating doughnuts in public. If someone sees you do it, then you will gain weight! I must say, my dining room is really starting to resemble the Black Sheep Knittery!