Projects and plans, thoughts and travels, quilts and knitting, cats and critters, fiber and fun and folks
Saturday, October 06, 2012
An FO and a Conundrum
Now there's another problem: what kind of borders to put on the Art Nouveau poppies. Here's three of the fabrics--and yes, all of these are in the quilt itself.
Yes, I have enough of the poppy print to cut for a border. I also have 19 of the assorted 4-patches, which I thought about using in a border too. I'm concerned about them pulling too much focus.
Friday, October 05, 2012
More Quilting, More Helper
This was also my Photo A Day shot. The theme was "shadow." All I could think of was Stevenson's poem:
"I have a little shadow who goes in and out with me,
And what can be the use of him is more than I can see."
Well, I guess he's keeping my arm warm. After all, it got down to 80 today.
Still not looking like much, but those are definitely "finished" 25-patch blocks. There's a set of green ones with the background print, and a set of yellow ones. There are spacers in the form of sashings in the background print, and
Tomorrow I plan to get out Jack (the ripper) and my little rotary cutter and get those 9-patches turned around. I've cut the border strips, so here's hoping I'll have something a little more finished-looking to show you tomorrow. And now, it's time to go to the TV/knitting chair and work on finishing up the blocks for the Ships Project afghan. Of course, my fuzzy friend will be there to supervise--he approves of my pattern choices, at least!
Tuesday, October 02, 2012
Yeah. Funny how a couple of years distance, and feeling a lot better physically and with a clearer mind (now that the year+ of recovery from t he surgery is over) can make even an impossibly flawed project suddenly more doable. This one had a problem with the pink and blue 4-patches. No way I could get them suitably random. Well, duh, no. Because they needed those green ones in between. I had the strips cut for the green ones, so that wasn't too difficult to accomplish.
The pattern (Dandelion Wine from Judy Hopkins' Triangle Free Quiltmaking) only calls for a separator strip on one side of the 4-patches, but I like the look better with 2. So 2 it is. I had a lot of that pink so I cut a few more strips and got them sewn on. Pressing them in 100+ degree weather wasn't the most enticing idea, but hey, the ironing board sits right over the a/c vent for the room, so it was pretty doable. And I got a kick out of the light shining through the strip as it hung over the end of the ironing board.
A teaser of how it will look. Needed a good press (again!) and then I trimmed the ends off evenly.
Whoa! These went together quickly--just a question of matching the ends, centers, and halfway-to-the-center points.
So this was a good project to keep me occupied today. Got a couple of things hanging fire and I feel as jumpy as... well, as me with too many things on my mind!!
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)