Thursday, September 28, 2006

Ten Things You Didn't Know--a Meme

Tag, you're it! Annette got me, so here's my list...
1. I've actually been to the place* in the picture.
2. This designer* is one of my favorites, and I've done a needlepoint piece of one of his designs.
3. It is almost impossible to find yarn in this city* although I certainly tried!
4. My first (and so far only) publication in a national magazine was a crossword puzzle in the Disney mag when I was 14.
5. English is not my first language--it's my second. I had to learn to speak it when I started school, and I hated it! (French is my first, Spanish the third.)
6. I went to bilingual schools for 12 years.
7. I learned to crochet when I was 7. I learned to knit when I was 8.
8. My first sweater was hot pink, cabled. I didn't know cables were "too hard."
9. I learned to sew on an industrial machine--my mother made doll clothes at home for a major manufacturer, back when home work was not regulated. My job was cutting the threads to separate the pieces.
10. I think that's probably why I took to "production" methods for piecing quilts, and it's certainly why I was able to make 4, 5, or more of the same little dresses at a time!

There. That wasn't too painful, was it?? Now let's see yours!


*It's the Willow Tea Rooms in Glasgow, Scotland, designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh

5 comments:

Annette said...

Wow, Marie - what an interesting background. No wonder you're so good knitting and quilting. It's in the genes!

Madge said...

Let's hear it for hot pink cables!

I've been to Rennie's Tea Room, too. :) Isn't Scotland a wonderful place?

Caroline said...

Hi!

I believe that the shawl on my blog was from an Italian magazine "Lavori artistici mano e fata" but I don't know which issue. I'll go home and see if I can find it. All I inherited for this shawl was the chart and some notes on graph paper. I'm not sure that I ever had the whole publication.

If I find something, I'll get back to you. Thanks for visiting my blog!

Caroline

sillyewe said...

Oooohh, that is a great shot! And hot pink cables! Whooohooo! My first sweater was a fuschia, acrylic, fuzzy lace thing....no gauge...thank you very much...that could have fit three of the intended recipiant. It is in a landfill in Australia somewhere.....

Anonymous said...

I guess that's why I love talking to you, you always have interesting and fun things to say.