Wednesday, June 05, 2013

And Now For Something Completely Different!

Knitting!! And a Finished Object!

The pattern is HitchHiker by Martina Behm,  It's part of her e-book, HitchHiker, A Trilogy in Four Patterns.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams' trilogy--in four volumes, later five--well, I suggest a read.

The movies were not very good, and didn't capture the wry humor very well.

It's easy for jokes that depend on wordplay to fall flat when turned visual.

I first heard of it when a local PBS station broadcast the BBC TV version. That was a lot of fun, and I loved later on reading about how much they improvised when they were filming.

Anyway, this scarf/shawl/wrap/whatever thingy is a long long piece of knitting--this one took all but a yard or two of the 560-yard skein of Miss Babs' Yowza, in Nasturtiums.

It's a wonderful yarn to knit with, and this was a fun project. I mean, really fun in that kind of semi-mindless-knitting kind of way, where you can knit knit knit and the pattern just flows.
 This one starts with three stitches and grows from there, with "teeth" every 10th row. Ideally, if you were using a finer yarn (this one is a light worsted, but the original was done in Wollmeise which is sock weight) you'd get 42 teeth.

I only got 36.

So I guess I came up short on the answer to life, the universe, and everything.


 I couldn't resist posing it under the orange tree next door. I mean, could you?

The funny thing is that orange is normally not my color, but I fell in love with this skein at Stitches West last year, carried it around for a while and then it came home with me.

See, I do use my yarn for knitting with.

Really.

Quick shot of my jacaranda tree, which is blooming its little purple head off right now. It's been windy and hot, so a lot of the blossoms have fallen, and not only does my lawn look like a purple carpet, so does the driveway.

Long couple of days, so now it's wine o'clock here.

Or, as my friend Holly reminded me, it's Wine Wednesday.

Just a nice crisp tart and tangy Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand. You may notice that I'm following my resolution to Use The Good Wineglasses.

Cheers, and good night. Tomorrow it may be back to the pinwheels...

No comments: