Thursday, June 14, 2007

Desert Island Fantasy

Meredith posted this contest on her blog, which I found via Knit Devil's charming little fantasy. In a nutshell, the challenge is to write about the three yarns that you'd want if you were going to be stranded on a desert island for a long long time. Herewith follows mine:

First of all, my desert island would be in the cold latitudes--maybe one of the Shetland Islands, or the Faroes, where the people have all gone but have left their old stone houses and crofts behind. That way, I can have a cozy house with a big ol' fireplace to sit and knit by on the long wintery evenings when the winds bluster and blow. That way, I could knit all kinds of thick cabled sweaters and complex Fair Isles, and wear them too!

So the first yarn I'd want to take would be a nice thick aran yarn, a creamy white Blue Faced Leicester. I have some of this yarn and it's just so wonderful to take it out and pet it and imagine it turning into one or more of those great cabled sweaters, like Alice Starmore's Inishmaan and Inishmore. Could I also have a couple of BFL sheep for company and to provide spinning material?

Next, I would want to have a nice selection of either Jamieson's or Jamieson & Smith's shetland yarns, to be able to do lots and lots of colorwork. If I can't have a case of assorted colors, I will just have to take white and dye the colors with the natural plant dyes and other materials on the island. Hey, a stranded-on-the-island girl has to be resourceful, right?

Lastly, lots and lots of Kid Silk Haze. Enough to make allthe shawls in Victorian Lace Today, and as a bonus, could I have the book too? Once I've run through all the patterns in the book (it is a LOOOONGGG time, right?) I'll start designing my own. But the main thing is the KSH. It's the best, soft, silky, strong. And a little ball goes a longlong way, too. Petting KSH is one of my very most favorite things to do. I think one reason I haven't been able to finish Birch is that I spend more time petting the yarn than knitting the shawl!

As far as other accoutrements for my island, well, I don't need a cabana boy to bring me drinks, but I'd love a big strong silent type who will hew wood for the fire, ride a bicycle to power the generator for the Ott-light and the computer, and cook good meals to keep us both healthy and strong.Hey, wielding those pointy sticks takes lots of energy!

5 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

Oh, wow! Now I've got my fantasy mojo going...I see me, some cashmere and my Yarn Butler all living happily in our fiber-filled mansion. There is a coffee shop right in the kitchen and a yarn store in the twelve car garage. ::sigh::

I may have missed the point of this whole exercise, though...

Madge said...

LDM and I would like to come visit you when we get our cruiser up and running again!

Smoochies,
Lady Doom

mary said...

Hilarious! You can have the strong silent one riding the bike while I'd probably have Gilligan!

Kate said...

That's a desert island I'd like to visit - keep your scratchy, sandy, tropical beaches and give me the Shetlands any day.

jillian said...

What a great fantasy! And I learned something new, I had no idea you leaned towards the classics (arans, Shetland wool, etc.)!