Monday, November 05, 2007

Finally, an FO!


Going to start with a view of the furry one--just because he was looking so cute this morning. It was a bit chilly in the house and he was hunkered down asleep on the quilt.


Of course, he wakes up as soon as the camera comes out. What is it about cats--some sort of 6th sense?





And, finally: a "real" Finished Object that isn't a 12" square!





The newest Cash Island scarf is on the right, with the older one on the left. The left one was done with 2 skeins, alternated every two rows. I was surprised and just a little chagrined that the colors didn't stripe as much as I had expected.






So, when I went to make the second scarf, I decided to just use the three skeins sequentially instead of alternating rows. I actually like both effects, and I think the differences are pretty subtle.

As a refresher, in case you've forgotten (how? You mean you haven't memorized every single skein in my stash?) here are the pictures of this yarn in the original skeins. They are grouped the way they were knit up, so the 2 skeins are the scarf on the left and the 3 skeins are the scarf on the right.

What I think I enjoy the most about variegated yarns--at least, artisanal variegated, a category which I think Noro fits into--is that you can't be sure what you're going to end up with when you knit with them.






This doesn't happen with the machine-dyed yarns, even the high-quality ones.

Today was a knitty day in Montrose, complete with coffee, Quizno's "Sammies," and lots and lots of good talk. Thanks to a little pre-planning and some clever shopping by D4, I came home to a house that smells of pot roast. Before I left, I threw some onions, carrots, and potatoes into the crockpot with a nice chunk of beef chuck, and it's now nicely tender and will be ready to eat later. Since we've been having warm days and cool nights, it's been quite damp and foggy in the evenings and early mornings, so a good hearty hotpot will hit the spot!

Not to mention how nice it is to have the aforementioned nice hot meal without having to actually stand there tonight and cook it. The only problem I seem to have is that I don't really know how to cook for two--I spent too many years cooking for twelve! (Nine people, including growing children with hearty appetites and the frequent addition of a buddy or two equals, don't cook for 9, cook for 12, and be sure to have bread and other supplements around too!)

6 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

Meh...I can't even manage to cook for one. I can cook. Just not for one. This is pretty much why I live out of frozen boxes! Otherwise, I'd be living on the same leftovers for weeks!

Love the scarves. The colors are just amazing!

Madge said...

Hurrah for your Cash Island Scarf! So pretty!

(sorry, I seem to have hit an uncreative blog commenting phase, but the sentiment is heartfelt, I assure you)

xo

DPUTiger said...

Cooking for one stinks. It's virtually impossible unless you're like my husband and can eat sandwiches 2 meals/day, 7 days/week and not get tired of it.

mary said...

Hurray for finished scarves! Not very creative either, I might add, but that second one looked smashing on you!

jillian said...

12??? If I had to do that, everyone would starve. :)

Beautiful scarves! Yes, Noro does has a way of surprising.

LotusKnits said...

Gorgeous scarves!!