Sunday, February 04, 2007

Saturday Sky??

A little grey/blue/white in this snap I took last night on my way into work:There are some very interesting buildings going up around town--I like the way the light worked on these. Definitely not a generic skyline!
The camellias are from my yard. I don't know their names, but the house was built by a nurseryman and there are a lot of "experimental" varieties around here. Seeing how slowly camellias grow, I have no problem believing that these have been here since the early days--house was built in 1920. And it shows. Everywhere. Especially the kitchen. Don't let me get started on that; let's just stop and smell the flowers.
Oh, that's right. Camellias have no fragrance. That's why they are such great corsage flowers. Yeah, my very first corsage ever--college freshman, fixed up with someone's buddy Rudy. Pink camellia. Gorgeous thing, loved the flower, wasn't too keen on the guy. He never called me back after the Sunday afternoon when he called and my cousin Richard gave him a real hard time. Who needs a big brother, right?
This last one is actually a white blossom, with the sun shining through it. The quest for a yellow camellia is ongoing, but so far it's not happening.
My town is "famous" for its annual Camellia Festival, but the only thing camellia-related is that the floats for the parade have to be covered in camellias. Nothing else. So you're basically working with a palette of pink, red, white, green leaves, brown (you have to cook the leaves, or pick nice fallen ones), and yellow from stamens. It is amazing what the kids can do--yeah, these are done by kids, some grown-up help allowed but all the flowers etc have to be pasted on by kid hands.
It was great training for my kids--when they worked on floats for the Rose Parade, they already knew how to keep the glue off their clothes!
More info on the Festival here if you are interested!

3 comments:

Madge said...

Great Project Spectrum photo! And the pink/white camellias are beautiful.

LOL about Rudy....

mary said...

Camellias are one of my favorite flowers. I always love the shallow bowls with floating camellias on top of the water. Love your nod to Project Spectrum.

Anonymous said...

Nice memory of the Camillia parade and floats - I had forgotten! D1