Monday, February 05, 2007

Frost, Mail, Flahrs

Is it wrong to dislike plants? I mean, to the point where, when something like this happens to them, you say, good job Jack Frost!

I mean, I like a lot of plants, and some I love. These, I detest. They are my neighbor's and grow on the other side of the fence, but their big ugly rubbery leaves hang over and drop all over, and they just make me unhappy. So when the frost came, and all of them (she has 5 of the things, in varying sizes) got frostbitten, I was not unhappy. Of course now there are dead brown leaves falling in my yard, and as you can sorta tell by looking at this one, the whole plant isn't dead. I imagine that by summer, they'll all be back to their repulsive glory.

When you have a bad day at work, what makes you feel better? Coming home to a front porch bearing treasure, that's what! Here we have the new Rowan 41, which on a quick leaf-through looks to be full of yummies, beginning with the cover. Now, I don't always knit much from the Rowan books, but I love them for the inspiration they provide. Yeah, I'm still chugging on Birch, which is from # what, 30 or something? Hey, a girl needs all the eye candy she can get, some days! then there's my bundle from Yarn of the Month, and a Don't Knit and Drive mug (all the way from Seattle, thanks Marie!) because while I don't knit and drive, I DO drink (coffee) and drive. Lastly, my big treat--and I did it, I cannot tell a lie--some yummies from Dave Daniels at Cabin Cove Mercantile. Note the very Project Spectrum-like colors!

And here's a splash of sunshine (speaking of which, it's been in the high 80's here for the last few days, and I'm doing some serious watering to try to counteract it!) courtesy of a very tough little gazania. This plant used to live alongside my driveway, back when the driveway was blacktop. It survived the giant trucks and tractors that hauled away the tons of oak tree; it survived being moved before the new driveway went in, and it has survived the heat and dryness of this past year. And still has the courage to bloom this effusively.

I'm going to try to take a lesson.

5 comments:

CatBookMom said...

Yep, the signs of Jack Frost's unusual visit to SoCal are all around Burbank, too. Our fledgling avocado tree may be dead, and all the bougainvillea leaves are crackly. I understand the remedy is patience to see what will green up before taking the clippers to the dead spots.

I love gazanias! Our front yard had a huge swath of them instead of grass, but over the years they have died out, and I want to re-plant, so I'll have the yard-full of bright cheeriness. Nurture that tough little plant!

Madge said...

Great goodies! Did you see Brooklyn Tweed's photo today? It's a yarn cake of grey Cabin Cove Mercantile. Great minds....

And you're being so good about Project Spectrum. I'm loving your posts.

P.S. Sometimes a dead plant is a good thing. Just ask Morticia Addams.

Sheepish Annie said...

Oooooo! Pretty yarn you got there! And I love that mug...perfect for the knitting commuter. Enjoy!

mary said...

I went from Brooklyn Tweed straight to you. Hmmmm, Cabin Cove must be a sign of something that I have to check out. Love the desert bloom!

Annette said...

Beautiful flower pics. I have to get on the ball with Project Spectrum. I'm afraid I've been a slacker. But you're inspiring me! I can't wait to see the new Rowan too.