Saturday, March 30, 2013
Playing Catch-Up, Yet Again
You'll just have to read my commentary and try to get a cohesive story out of all this!
I've been working on the two blocks I had cut out for the Civil War Tribute Block of the Month, back in 2011, just before my back got hurt and I was pretty much sidelined for the last couple of years.
Meantime, it's going to be Easter Sunday tomorrow, which means dinner chez Caitlin. My contribution will be this peach-apricot cobbler.
When you're going to make a fruity thing and the fruits are not in season, there are a couple of choices: frozen, canned, or dried. No frozen peaches or apricots at my local Trader Joe's, but they did have
So, cut them up coarsely and simmered them for a while with a little water, sugar, and cinnamon.
They plumped up quite nicely! The aroma was great.
(Canned fruit is too "wet" to work well in this recipe. It actually calls for canned pie filling, but stewed fruit makes a good sub--better than the canned filling, in my opinion. And since I'm the one who's making it, my opinion is the one that counts, right?)
Used the food processor to mix the flour/oatmeal/butter/brown sugar part. Works well, but the oatmeal doesn't keep its shape.
Not a problem.
Notice the high-tech touch: I copied the recipe onto my phone and kept that handy. This is one of those recipes that was copied from one my mother had copied out ages ago, and it's on a really gross greasy card, somewhere in the depths of the Recipe Hell I call my cookbook shelf.
And the phone was a very convenient way to keep it handy. I did not splash flour or butter on the phone, either.
It's not as fragrant as the lilacs that grow where there are real winters, but at least I get lilacs.We planted this bush ages ago, probably one of the first years we were in this house--right after the ugly yucca plant and disgusting jade plants were dug up and removed.
The neighbor's roof has not been holding up well.
The photos are in reverse order, so you'll have to bear with me.
These are the four blocks for Month 2 of the Civil War quilt.
Lots and lots of triangles.
However, they were all cut out, so all I had to do was sew them.
That's what it says in the fine print. I have a feeling that my cutting two years ago was a little, shall we say, not as exact as it could have been?
However, here's the first block completed. There are two strips of the light color that will go along the top and bottom of the block.
Ummm...remember that comment I just made about my cutting? The strips are 8 different sizes. I think I need to press the blocks and then trim those strips to fit.
Here's a cute little upside-down sequence for you.
One of the blocks didn't come out very well--it was the first one I put together, and as you can see below, it had a significant pucker problem.
That's after picking out the first set of seams and redoing them. It's better than it was, but not by much.
The block on the left is what it looked like after a more severe redo.
No more puckers. The next two blocks went together just fine, and the fourth one had a similar problem to the first one.
Now, I know that a lot of things will press out, but I think that's kind of a last resort. At this stage, it's much better (says my inner perfectionish) to take it apart and redo it so it comes out right.
So these need a good press, which they will get with the "good" iron and not the little travel iron.
This is what the pieces looked like when I took them out of the sleeve and laid them out ready to sew.
Why yes, I do like doing jigsaw puzzles. Why do you ask?
You'll notice that there are a couple of pictures showing these blocks laid out, with rulers covering them.
If you refer to the picture at the top of this post, you'll understand why.
A large furry critter can wreak a lot of havoc on a collection of little pieces of cloth, if he decides that he needs to keep me company.
This is the second time I laid these pieces out.
His rearrangement did not improve the look of the block.
So, there's the first two months' worth of blocks completed and set aside.
Next will be more cutting. I looked at the next block and promptly closed the binder.
Good project for another day!
Look at that sweet boy. He wouldn't dream of messing with my quilt blocks.
This pattern does this quite a bit. There are multiples of most of the blocks, usually in two sizes.
Month Two was a bit unusual since they are all 4 the same size. (And not the same size as either of these...)
So there they are.
I am following the pattern's directions for cutting out the blocks, and I'm not sure I'm really happy with the way the patterns are working out. Maybe it's just me...
This quilt, by the way, will be for my brother, who is a long-time Civil War buff. He's been visiting the various battlegrounds and memorials when he gets a chance. I think I'll put wool batting in it--he lives in Mass, after all!
Louise took a mystery-quilt workshop at the Glendale show, and this is her finished top.
Her focus fabric is really unusual--it is a batik with two prints on it! If you can look at the larger image do check it out.
We had a Monday sewing session at Sandy's this week.
Here's Sandy, with pug.
Sandy was working on her Civil War quilt blocks. She's up to Month Seven--I need to do some catching up, although Louise's is finished and even hung in the Glendale show last year.
Here she is working on her mystery quilt, which you can see up above.
Anne doesn't love having her picture taken, but this was too cute not to share.
She was making 3-D bow ties--excuse me, Dimensional Bow Ties!
I'll try to get a picture when it gets a little further along. It's a very cute pattern and cleverly done.
Yes, I want to make one. No, I'm not going to start one.