Projects and plans, thoughts and travels, quilts and knitting, cats and critters, fiber and fun and folks
Saturday, October 06, 2012
An FO and a Conundrum
This is beginning to be a pattern. I turn on the machine, and HiHi comes running to see what's going to happen. Well, if he has any say in the matter, it's going to be skritches and pets and headbonks for the cat. He's not at all concerned that I had to rip out some blocks and put then in a different way.
He's helping. Or thinks he is, or maybe he just really doesn't want me to sew. But I'm determined, and he gets bored pretty easily. So he wandered off eventually, and I was able to continue with this:
Here's the first set of blocks with the sashings and cornerstones, in the right configuration this time. I know, doesn't look that different, does it?
And that's when I made an interesting discovery, which led to still more ripping and re-sewing. You see, the sashing strips aren't all the same. So there was more headscratching, and more work for Jack (the ripper), and more re-sewing. However, I got into the groove...
This is what it looked like before I put on the border and the final cornerstones.
Here it is, all done. Pressed, too, ready for layering and quilting...
I like the way the colors work with the background fabric. Even though it looks pretty grey in these photos, it's not--it's a deep royal blue with bright flowers on it.
I like it. Here's a close-up:
I think the strong green and yellow, which are NOT solids, stand up nicely to the busy background pattern. It's cheerful, and I think it will be fun to quilt.
Figured while I was at it, I'd go ahead and cut and press the binding, too. That book is the one from which these patterns came--well, at least the inspirations. I do love Judy Hopkins' books--she gives very clear instructions, and enough leeway to allow for improvisation.
Now there's another problem: what kind of borders to put on the Art Nouveau poppies. Here's three of the fabrics--and yes, all of these are in the quilt itself.
I was hoping to use that pale blue with the stylized carnations on it, but it's pretty wimpy next to the strong colors in the strips. The dark green is my favorite so far, but it's directional, and if I cut it that way, there wont be enough. The carnations are directional, too, but not as strongly. In addition to the greens and the blues here, I also have two more pinks, and plenty of that bright pink to use again. I'm thinking it would make a good binding.
Yes, I have enough of the poppy print to cut for a border. I also have 19 of the assorted 4-patches, which I thought about using in a border too. I'm concerned about them pulling too much focus.
So... it's been put away for a little while, to marinate. It's not as though I have nothing else to work on...and after all this, I do want to get this quilt "right."