Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sunday Funnies, and a Contest

Melanie is having a contest! I read about it on Madgik's blog, so of course I have to play along! She wants to see pictures of either your first project or your next, not-yet-cast-on project. My first project was a pink scarf, done probably umpty-many years ago--I was 7. So here's my next thing: it's 3 skeins of Noro Cash Island, destined to be a ripple scarf.
I will probably use Feather and Fan
because I love it, it's easy to do in all sorts of circumstances, and the result is pretty and soft. I'm going to experiment a bit though, since I have 3 hanks of this yarn and 2 made a nice long scarf.

See, here's the first one. Two skeins of Noro Cash Island, one repeat of Feather and Fan, yarn wound off my knees in the car on the way to Shelburne, cast on and knit that day, frogged the next--it was two repeats, and it would have made a short wide scarf. Very short. As in, maybe a dickey? Wouldn't have gone around the neck even once! Finished it on the plane on the way home.
If you are going to have to spend a couple of hours on the tarmac while a lightning storm rages around your plane, it helps to have knitting and an iPod to keep your cool.

This is what's been keeping me from doing much knitting lately--I came home to a living room full of boxes. Very very large boxes.
And a partially-assembled sofa, which apparently was delivered into the back yard in a box that was so trashed and so heavy that D4 couldn't move it. So she hauled the sofa parts inside and began assembling.
Simon is decorating the box that contains the two-seater sofa. You can tell it also arrived in not great shape.
I was concerned about the condition of the parts inside, but not to worry.
Everything came in great shape. The quality of the pieces is exceptional.

Here's the assembly person hard at work. Behind her is the completed 2-seater.
Nothing like getting up close and personal with your work!
Yes, she assembled all five pieces by herself, with a hammer, screwdriver, and the tools provided.
The finished pieces get the feline seal of approval. We have a living room again! The color on the upholstery is an olive green--not quite as brown as it appears in these pictures. I love the Mission lines, the ultrasuede-y texture, and the whole room has picked up a flair it hasn't had for a long time. I will try to get a picture of "the desk" and post that too--it's an old family piece, and it's the real thing. Came across from Virginia to Illinois on the Immigrant Train when my husband's great-grands were traveling West.
But that's a story for another day. Now to go let Melanie know that I'm in her contest! Why don't you join us? And tell her Madge and I sent you!

6 comments:

LotusKnits said...

Wow I really like that furniture!! Pretty stuff! Thanks for joining in on the contest! :D

jillian said...

Gorgeous new furniture!

And beautiful scarf too - and so quick!

Sheepish Annie said...

Love the new living room furniture! It's been so long since I've had anything other than hand-me-downs that I've forgotten what "new" looks like! Very, very handsome pieces.

Also loving the scarf! Good pattern choice.

mary said...

Great yarn but I love the new furniture and the living room! Hooray, more places to knit.

Madge said...

Thumbs up on your new scarves AND your new living room furniture. Yay for more places to sit and knit!

Curly Cable said...

Lovely Furniture, it didn't take your cats long to make the chairs feel at home;-) Love the scarf, lovely colours and pattern