Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Some News!

Back a little while ago, at the urging of Knit Devil, I joined her in entering Morrighana's Desert Island contest. Well, guess what? Hey, prizes are good, but Honorable Mention is good too! Congrats to KD for coming in as First Honorable Mention!

The new chair and ottoman have the Feline Seal of Approval.
Yes, that's a big cat. A BIG cat. Not a small chair!


Too bad the lamp doesn't show up very well--it's a floor lamp version of an Ott light (joann.com sale) and this looks as if it might become my new knitting corner.
You can't see the basket of knitting next to the chair, but it's there. Right now it's got a lot of odds and ends in it, and I really need a little table to hold the cold drinks. but it's definitely got possibilities in the relaxing-nook department!
This is the desk I mentioned previously:
Closed.
And open.
Yes, I know the flag is a nice touch. We have to put the bracket back up on the new pergola, and then we can fly our flag.
(We actually have two of them--those aluminum rods are the pole for the second flag. )
Anyway, the desk is here and as you can see, the new furniture fits its styling quite nicely.

I think the desk looks pretty good for its age, and I've watched enough Antique Roadshows to know that it would not be a kindness to try to refinish it. It's got some scuffs but that's all part of its character.
Like my grey hairs and wrinkles and lines are all part of mine, I keep telling myself.
Yeah, I don't really believe it, but I try!



View of the Japanese Garden at the Huntington Library, scene of Sunday's invasion by a horde of tea-drinking, pinky-lifting, knitting-in-public OOPSers.



And finally, my quilting classes have resumed in the new venue. Like all new endeavors, it will take a little while to ease ourselves all into the different routines.
But some of the things don't change. Tonight my Dynamic Overachieving Duo made not one, but two Christmas tree skirts. Harry is modeling one. I don't know if all retired pediatricians have a secret wish to be a Christmas tree. I do know Harry is one of a kind!
There were a lot of quilts being worked on. I will post a some of these, and put the rest on Flickr if you're interested in seeing them all. You can also visit Anne's blog to see hers. She's going to post it as soon as she recovers from Water Heater Shock.

More tomorrow. It's turning out to be a very knitty week!

10 comments:

Curly Cable said...

I just love your new desk, looks superbly well made and classy! I can see you are going have a fight to sit on your knitting chair, when your cat is around, he is a big cat, but lovely and oh so cute!!!

mary said...

Congrats on Honorable Mention! Truly a gift you have. Your living room is coming along nicely and I'm glad quilting night went well.

Anonymous said...

Loving the new furniture.

H looks great in the skirt, thanks for the pic :)

Sheepish Annie said...

Whee! I love a Knitty Week! And congratulations on that Honorable Mention. Well done!

I love the chair (and, of course, the kitty) and am rather jealous of your Ott light. I was just thinking about one of those the other night as I was tinking back on a Monkey sock and wishing I could actually see it. Gonna have to take another look at those sale tables!

jillian said...

You are so right - that desk goes perfectly with the new furniture! Woo hoo.

Love your Japanese garden picture - it's frame-able.

LotusKnits said...

wow that garden is gorgeous!!

DPUTiger said...

The Japanese Gardens are my very favorite part of the Huntington, and I'm quite happy I got a second visit before my departure. Love that Anne started a blog. Hope all is well! :)

Annette said...

I love your new furniture and the desk! Your picture of the Japanese Garden makes me want to be transported to that very spot right now. I'll have to visit the gardens soon! Congrats on Honorable Mention!

Madge said...

Congrats, fellow honorable mentioner!

That Harry - what a card.

Anonymous said...

*sigh* I just love Harry!
-C