Thursday, July 18, 2013

A Surprise, and some sprouts

 Busy few days around here lately, although as is usual with busy-ness, there isn't a whole lot to show for all the moving around.

But the house is clean, and I took the poor filthy car to the car wash, and lo and behold, it's green again! It was sort of mud-brown and it was hard to tell if the windshield was dirtier inside or out. Now I've got laundry going, so soon there will be clean clothes as well.

Spent well over two hours at the doctor's this morning, and all I can say is, it's a good thing I had my knitting with me. Whoever has the bright idea of putting TV sets in doctors' waiting rooms should be taken and forced to listen to the noise for two hours or more. It was a relief to get back into a quiet exam room!

This was just a regular checkup with my PCP, no big deal. But I was so tired when I got home that I had to take a nap. I hate taking naps. I always have a hard time waking up in the morning, and it's the same thing after a nap. Except that it's usually too late to start mainlining coffee  if I hope to sleep at night.

 Anyway, it was nice to have the rest of the day to just sort laundry and start the machines, and get back to my precious pinwheels.

Just look at those tempting stacks!

The supervisor was on duty, as usual. He expressed his dislike of Mr. Campion, although I quite enjoyed this series. I wish I had more of them!  Next up will be Peter Wimsey.  I do not think he will be any more fascinating to the cat.
He's holding down the squres and rectangles so they don't escape.

By the time I quit for the night (I have to get up early tomorrow for PT, sigh, and this guy wakes me up every morning to let me know the sun came up) I had 450 of these done. If all goes well, I should finish them up soon and be ready to start sewing on yellow squares.

I also need to finish cutting sashing strips, but I have a lot of those done from Monday.
 And here's my surprise: another feline visitor to the sewing machine!

She's not a frequent visitor to the blog, because she's been such a shy little thing. This is major progress for her!

She's "come out of the closet" at last and spends a good part of her time hanging around me. She likes a few pats and will purr if I stroke her or talk to her.

But this is active exposure for my "closet cat." I think she likes being a pet!

 She did a lot of checking it out, and she has a long way to go before she'll be a really good "sewing supervisor" but it's a start.

 She seems to be wondering how she got here and how she can escape, doesn't she?

Oh, Shyla, we'll make a sewing cat out of you yet!

The last picture here is my pathetic excuse for a pot garden this year. Well, okay, it's more than I've had some years! Most of the bulbs I planted didn't even sprout, so that was a bust. However, I have a nice little volunteer Tradescantia which I'm hoping is the blue-flowered variety, and I planted some seeds my brother sent me.

And they've sprouted! They're a variety of pole bean called McCaslan so of course both my bro and I have to grow some! (McCasland is a family name. Supposed to be Scottish, but my brother's research seems to show that it's in fact Irish. Or Scots-Irish.)

So we'll see how well the beans do in the pots, and if they'll bear fruit at all.

And yes, I have since pulled that spurge out of the front pot. Nasty stuff!


Lee I said...

I hope you don't get any knocks at the door from anyone looking for your pot garden.

Can the supervisors be left to supervise without your presence? I've been confirmed in my choice to have a lock put on the sewing room door that can be locked from inside and out to prevent unauthorized mingling with the fabrics by the fuzzy children.

Carrie P. said...

You have some nice stacks of fabric going on there. It will be interesting to see how your beans do in the pots.