Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Holiday Happenings


First off, here's what D4 refers to as our Charlie Brown holiday decorations. Two strings of lights on the front of the porch. Hey, it's two strings of lights more than we had last year!

Kind of appropriate, really, since the poor old house (yes, old, it was built in 1921) has been getting a little bit of attention this year. So a little decorating is in keeping with that theme. (Okay, okay, it got a new driveway, new back door, new French doors on the back, a new door from the garage to the back yard, new deck, and a new pergola--considering what it needs, this is a drop in the bucket!) The big decisions are yet to come--whether I'm going to be staying here, and thus making more repairs, or whether I will chuck it all (and maybe SoCal too!) for alternative living arrangements.

The sheer volume of what needs to be gone through, organized, purged, etc, argues strongly for staying put. But then, I always feel much better about living "here" during the winter, when the weather is bearable.

How about a little carroty goodness for the holidays? Here's The Boy with his dad and grandma--oops, excuse me, seems the grandcarrot is going to have a Memere to go with his Lola.


I think his daddy is a cutie too.

And yes, that thumb is a constant companion. Funny coincidence? His mommy was a thumbsucker too. She has nice straight teeth, too, no orthodontia required.

Isn't the little bear hat adorable?

Okay, enough gushing. Honestly, there HAS been knitting action going on here. I'm trying very very hard to finish up the Secret Santa scarf before its deadline. Friday afternoon, when I clock into work, it needs to be finished and wrapped, as Mr. Steve and I will not cross paths on Saturday. He'll be done and off for home before I come in. So today, which is a day off, I can knit away, and have some time tomorrow as well. I am procrastinating on the knitting by doing laundry, bills, dishes, posting, and all that good stuff. I sure hope I can get it done and not have to go to Target to BUY him a scarf!

I'm still looking for buttons for Pea Pod. I had meant to have them sewn on and ready for the dinner on Monday (when the above picture was taken) but of course couldn't find anything suitable. I think I have button issues--I love them, but hate sewing them on. "Asking a quilter to sew on a button is like asking Van Gogh to paint your garage."

Okay, back to knitting the grey scarf. Victory post when it's done!

2 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

Memere! Another very common word in my little community! Southern ME is all about the franco-american...

Such a cute little grandcarrot!!!! How do you ever put that little guy down?

And I do love the lights. I can't do any outside decorating at my condo so I'm envious of those who can string up a light or two.

Madge said...

Our lights look just like yours! (for some reason, fuses keep blowing out, and we're down to one strand around our bay window) Yay for Charlie Brown.

Good luck on the scarf. You can do it, you can do it, you can do it. I bet you're weaving in ends right now. (if not, maybe it's time to crack open the egg nog....)