Monday, October 23, 2006

A Fond Farewell, and other things


Tonight, there won't be those two crazy Maries out there on the patio at Starbucks. No knitting needles flashing in the lights from the passing cars,* no yarn flying all over the place. The crickets will search in vain for their favorite purple hiding place** and the baristas will just have to go without their nightly laughs.
One Marie is on her way to Seattle--about an hour on the road, as I write this--and the other is blogging sadly. Dear friend, have a safe trip and do warn the Seattle yarn shops that they are going to be invaded by a horde of Pasadena knitters!
*KnitPicks needles are shiny and bright and reflect the light.
**that Jordana Page purple knitting bag/carryall/holdall


Okay, now here (just for you, Madge!) is some of my latest eye candy.

First we have some Skye Tweed, in a pretty light blue, from Webs. No color name, unfortunately, but it's a nice greyish-blue with darker and brighter flecks in it. I think this will make a nice cardi for *moi* n'est-ce-pas?
Okay, now these beauties are from Black Water Abbey yarns. They are a nice heavy-ish weight and each hank has 220 yards. (Hmmm...why does that number sound familiar?) The upper one is called Bluestack and will probably become a Celtic Dreams gansey, while the Ocean will become Marilyn. You can see the patterns and more about the yarn here but I warn you, if you love arans and Celtic designs, stay away! Marilyn (the owner, not the pattern) also included color cards with my order; now I am anxious to get these knit up, so I can order more. And I heard that "someone" might like to make Rogue out of the Mountain color... a really pretty lilac/lavender color. Since that someone originally got some apple-green Lamb's Pride for Rogue, we'll see what happens, no?

I may have shown this lovely woodsy color of Sea Silk before, but I know I didn't show the beads I got to go along with it. Found them here and the little clear-top containers are from Martha's defunct web store. The beads come packed in little plastic baggies and I was able to peel off the label and stick it onto the side of the container, so if I run out I can run right back to the bead store for more. This might become a beaded Diamond Fantasy Shawl, which is a Sivia Harding design and which you probably already saw on Madge's blog.


Lastly, what's a good blog post without a shot of the grandcarrot? (No, Bad Gramma has not yet sewn the buttons on Pea Pod, hush up now!) Mom is at her wit's end with that hair and it may be getting a trim soon.

All together now: Awwwwwww!!

7 comments:

Sachi said...

OMG that grandkid looks amusingly similar to how I looked as a babe. Hair and all. Everyone says I was born with 6" of hair and that it was totally out of control.

Sachi said...

Oh... and I would be happy to meet up with your friend, once she's gotten settled in, to... you know... raid a couple yarn shops.

mary said...

Beautiful yarns, beautiful friend but beautifulest of all is grandcarrot! What a smile :)

Annette said...

Cute grandson! He's growing up and looking more like a little boy than an infant. Thanks for the eye candy. I'm going 'Windows' shopping now at Black Water Abbey.

Madge said...

Cutest grandcarrot in the world!

You've gotten some lovely yarn recently. That blue is perfect for a cardi for you. And Black Water Abbey - yummy. And the SeaSilk with the perfect match beads is awesome. It will make a great DFS.

I've got to go to the dentist this am, but once I get back I'm tempting fate and visiting Abbey Yarns. Uh oh.

jillian said...

Niiiiice stash enhancement!

Sheepish Annie said...

Awwww!!! And I'm saying that with a really mushy look on my face and a strange desire to start a family for whom I can knit sweet little sweaters! Holy Moly that's a cute little grandcarrot...

(The cats are now looking very nervous and fearing tiny, handknit sweaters.)