Monday, May 01, 2006

Equal Time


This is another of my furry babies--his name is Highland, aka Hi-Hi. He's (part?) Maine Coon, very densely furred, no voice, adores curling up in baskets and wrestling with Simon. Since he's almost twice Simon's size, you'd think it would be no contest, but this guy is so sweet and gentle it' almost no contest! The gratuitous kitty-cuteness is because I spent two and a half hours last night casting on, doing a couple of rows, and then ripping out four different projects. First I tried entrelac, with some lovely lovely Bullfrogs & Butterflies in the Happy Valley colorway. Really pretty yarn. Really really ugly entrelac. Rrrrrrip! Okay, try the basketweave pattern. Well, the edge isn't that pretty with cable crossings (3 over 3) on the second row; even less attractive, by row 6, is the striping of the yarn which covers up the pattern. Rrrrrrip! Ohhh...kay... let's see, I have some loverly yellow/orange variegated stuff that I think has longer color runs, is it nearby? Of course not, it's hiding and cowering in fear. But here's a nice seaman's scarf pattern in cables and lace, in a wonderful yarn. Cast on the temporary caston, do a row. Second row? Doesn't fit. By this time, it's dawned on me that I should probably just rrrrrripppp that out too, and go back to WIP-working. Done. Got a few more rows done on the "found" blue hairy stuff and went to bed early. Sometimes it just doesn't seem to be the right time to start a new project, does it? Hi-Hi followed me up to bed, the way he always does, and we all had a good night's rest.

No comments: